From:
Caterina Venturelli <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jan 2001 15:40:35 -0500
Dear friends,
My little ferret Gigio, waked up this morning with an edema on his lower
jaw on the right side, that makes him look like he has double chin.
Yesterday evening he was a bit anxious, at the time he usually sleeps, he
got in and out of the drawers all the time, now I think he was not feeling
comfortable.  It was also strange that he was eating more times than usual
and no at the time he uses to, and with some nervousness, now I think that
maybe he felt some discomfort in his mouth.  This morning he ate and drank
as usual, but still seems that he can not rest due to something, because he
try to sleep and few minutes later he changes position or place, also he is
more quiet and when I hold him and pet him, he enjoys staying in my arms
for long, instead of wanting to go down and play.  Gigio is 1 year and a
half, a a MF male.  He visited the vet this morning and the Dr. suggested
tree possible causes: a traumatism, maybe when he was playing something hit
his jaw.  An insect puncture, or a possible infection inside one of his
tooth (at a glance his teeth seemed fine, but it could be an internal
infection).  Because Gigio does not stays out of his cage without
supervision, I find difficult to say that he got hit by something, besides
there is no blue mark or any scratch at all.  I don't think that an insect
could have bit him, there are no marks of it neither, and he stays in
places where there are no insects.  With the evidence of his strange
behaviour yesterday I think that is more probable that something is wrong
in his mouth.  Could it be a salivary gland?  or and infection in his
tooth?  He got a shot of dexametasone and we are puting drapes with warm
water at least tree times a day for 5-10 minutes each time.  The Dr. did
not gave him any antibiotic or diuretic.  If the cause is external, the
edema is supposed to go down in 12-24 hours.

I remember some of you have had kind of a problem, but I remember you said
it was something hard as or almost like a bone, in this case is soft.  It
appeared in just one night.  Any ideas and clues are welcome.  I adore that
boy, I feel terrible when something is wrong with him, I always dare the
worst.  Thank you for your help.  A big kiss to your fuzzies from me too.

Best regards,
Cathie and Gigio.