From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 14:25:50 -0600
First I'd like to welcome Dr. Ball to the FML and let her know we are glad
she is here. :-)

I read the posts on ferret knowledgeable vets.  Dr. Ball mentioned she sees
many vets at the conferences she attends.

In Kansas there are over 1100 veterinarians and this is not a state with
big cities compared to other states nor is it as populated as some others.
I'd be surprised if more than a few Kansas vets attended the conferences.
To find out the veterinarian population of your state you can contact your
states Vet Med Association.

Kansas is primarily an agricultural state and many practices are involved
in treating livestock, as well as the basics for dogs and cats, but not
many have an interest in what they consider exotics and smaller animals
(birds, rodents, ferrets, reptiles, etc.).

I can remember back to my first insulinoma ferret, Nikki.  In 1989, I was
told by the vet that I was the first person in our area to bring in a LIVE
ferret to be diagnosed with insulinoma, the only other ones they'd seen
were on necropsy.  Sadly, even with the KSU vetmed school we've not
progressed far in ferret medicine in our state.

The vet med library does have the Constantine/Kizer anti-ferret paper,
which was obtained in the last 7 years I believe, as it wasn't there
previously, but not the rebuttal paper as it is on the unreturned list
and had been listed as unreturned even before the library obtained the
Constantine/Kizer, uhm, paper.  I was sorely disappointed to find this,
uhm, paper in our prized vet med library, without any remarks to the
inaccurate and misleading data.  I'd hope that if a student wrote a thesis
in the form this report was written that they would not obtain their
degree.  This type of writing may be acceptable in the gossip tabloids
but does not belong in an academic society.

The exotics program here is sorely lacking.  While that seems to be the
norm for an agricultural state it leaves many of us out in the cold.  I
can honestly say that if I'd had a vet to do all the work for me, I'd not
come as far as I have in learning how to diagnose certain ailments,
possible treatment courses, and nursing techniques.

Five years ago, a local vet clinic wouldn't treat ferrets because they
considered them exotics, and when they did start treating them there were
several misdiagnoses, some deadly (not on purpose but from lack of
knowledge).

Fortunately there are vets, such as our current vet, that are willing to go
the extra mile, to do the research, to talk with other more knowledgeable
vets, and to read and listen to what we ourselves have found on ferret
medicine.  I agree with Dr. Ball that calling around and asking questions
is very important in choosing the vet for your ferret.  Furthermore,
schedule a consultation time with the vets you are interested in and
question them on their ferret practices.  Be polite but don't be shy.
Asking questions now may save you and your ferret pain and suffering later.

I envision a time when ferret medical conferences are held in all states,
providing a convenient opportunity for the vets to attend.  Unfortunately
many clubs/organizations do not have the resources to set up these
conferences and the larger organizations so far are the only ones to be
able to do so.  But there is always hope.

Warm hugs to all. tle
Troy Lynn Eckart
Ferret Family Services
Please sign up to support our charity