From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jan 2001 15:44:59 EST
I guess it's been a while since I've posted!  Last weekend 6 ferrets went
to their new homes in Virginia, and another 6 went to PA.  Many thanks to
Faith for coordinating the VA ferrets, and Patty for making the transport
run, and to Kim and the PFRA for coordinating the PA ferrets, and to Ann
for transporting them.

A funny story, as we were walking into our church last Sunday, our priest
stopped us and said "Hey, see me after mass." Uh oh.  Not something you
want to hear from a priest!  But after mass we stopped in to the church
office, and he presented us with a copy of "Ferrets For Dummies"!  Now
we've taken ferrets to the church hall many times when picking up Mark
from CCD or other errands, and Fr.  John has never been terribly fond of
them.  I guess it's all a front ;-) I told him that he came very close to
getting a call on 12/23 for a blessing of the animals, but never did get
around to it!

We are down to only 15 ferrets left in the house from the Christmas gang,
not including the two we've adopted as personal ferrets.  Most of what is
left is either a biter or needs an adrenalectomy, or is old or has some
other issue.

Would Linda Montgomery from Tyler, TX please e-mail or call me?

Thanks to Debbie K., Ruth & Dennis, and Theresa M. for the checks.  I
deposited them and then wrote a check to SOS.  My company has a matching
funds program, so your donations will be matched!

Also thanks to Terri and Pam for the HUGE box of ferrets toys!  To Risa
for her care package, and to Pam V.  for the beautiful hammocks!  Thanks
to Cathy for the candles, hammocks, and more, and to Evsco/Tomlyn for the
Nutrical and Eight in on for the food (and to Melissa for soliciting them!)

I sent out a goody bag with each ferret that left in order to spread the
generosity around.  I'm also boxing up many of the reusable items after
cleaning and disinfecting with Synphenol so that they're ready to be
shipped or delivered on a moments notice to the next shelter facing a
disaster type situation.  Yeah, I would call what just happened here in
NJ a disaster.

I have also taken a selection from many of the donated items and assembled
a HUGE basket that will be auctioned off by SOS.  The value will likely
be well over $200 by the time I am done adding things, and it looks like
tickets will be $2 each, or 3 for $5.  SOS will be selling tickets until
April 14, and the winner will be chosen on 4/15/2001.  It's a tax relief
basket!  There will be a photo and contents list posted soon, and I'm sure
Judith will have a post with more info next week.  The goal is to raise
over $1000 for SOS, who has been so wonderful in assisting us with this
effort, so they will have a nest egg to help other shelters as well.  I'm
going to buy a handfull of tickets for this one, it's a nice basket! :-)

We finally got around to naming the yet unnamed fuzzies that are with us.
Their names are Cocoa, Augustine, Milton, Meyers, Sebastion, Reedy Creek
(Reed for short), Marianna, Largo, Stuart, Amelia, and Charlotte.

Anastasia had a great idea to set up a newsgroup so we could keep track of
how they are all doing in their new homes, anyone can subscribe by sending
email to [log in to unmask]

We're going to be hosting a bar-b-que/open house type of thing in the
spring once the weather is nicer, and will be inviting anyone who offered
assistance of any kind (physical labor, research, donations of products,
donations to SOS, and even prayers!) in this rescue and their families or
SO's.  Looking at show schedules and my SIL's upcoming wedding so we don't
have conflicts.  Will post more once the plans a re alittle more firm.
I'm looking forward to meeting a lot of people this way, so I can thank
them in person.  By then I hope to have the lovely smell of "Eau de Hob
en Rut" cleaned out of the house and garage!

Again, thanks and dooks to everyone who helped.

Anne