From:
Richmond Ferret Rescue League <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 16:51:27 -0000
Hi Sara,

I was interested in your question today regarding the adrenal reoccurrence-
I met Kurt at the Backer trade show in Chicago last year (I think)- I run
the Richmond Ferret Rescue League-Anyway, we have a 3 1/2 yr-old girl, a
Path Valley girl that I had mentioned to Kurt at the show who had just had
adrenal surgery- Her surgery was 16 months ago and she had a non-malignancy
removed from the left gland- no complications- She and her cage mate (he
has problems, also) have been our perfect "Therapy ferrets" that we take
out in public, to nursing homes, etc- you know, the sweet, patient ferts
that you can hand over to anyone- I noticed recently that Lunisa was
drinking more water than anyone else, and that her urine output was more,
also.  About 3 weeks ago her vulva started to show some swelling and the
hair over her hips is thinning.  She had a blood sugar test 2 weeks ago- it
was 72- no diabetes- but there were some "inflammatory cells" in her urine
so we started her on antibiotics.  Within 48 hours her little coochie had
swollen to huge proportions, it was just awful.  We switched antibiotics
(from Amoxi to Baytril).  It's a little better, but still huge.  Bigger
than any adrenal coochie I've ever seen.

Our vet is wonderful, but he is hesitant about a 2nd Surgery for her at
this time- He's become more conservative with adrenals, which I'm not sure
is good in Lunisa's case.  We're going to try Lupron this Thursday to see
if this helps reduce her cooch- and keep her on antibiotics, also.  I don't
feel that 3 1/2 or 4 is a bad age for a 2nd surgery, but I haven't had
experience with reoccurence, so maybe there are some good reasons.  I did
lose a male MF 5 yr old adrenal last year after he blocked for a 4th time
(he had had surgury 2 yrs previous).  We tried surgery this time, but his
bladder was a mess, (vet found 3 separate "balloons" instead of a normal
bladder) and he passed away 2 days after surgery.</P>

Let me know if you hear anything back about adrenal reoccurrence- And our
prayers are with your little one-

Marlene Blackburn-Richmond Ferret Rescue League