From:
Perro Loco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jan 2001 08:15:36 -0600
>I'm not sure this is such a great idea.  It would be if you could
>guarantee the weather etc. but I imagine that when sailing such a long
>trip there WILL BE events that you can't forsee.

Marie,
Thanks for your suggestions... the problem is that there is nobody I
really trust with my girls... as you know, weezuls are very special little
people - Cleo even tries to talk to me when she wants attention.  One of
my plans is to more or less convert one of the very large quarterberth
areas on my boat (about 8ft.  X 2.5ft.) into a weezul safe area - including
a locking hatch.  This way if unforeseen problems (weather, etc.) arise...
they can be safely tucked away for the duration in an area that's large
enough for them to feel comfortable.

My worry is if they will be prone to seasickness and suffer for it... not
eating etc.  As far as kennels are concerned... Everyone I know who has
ever boarded any pet in a kennel has thought afterwards that their loved
ones weren't as well cared for as they could have been.  Given Cleo's
shortened life expectancy because of her recent bout with (presumptively)
cancer... it just doesn't feel right not to have her with me to enjoy the
remaining duration of her all to short little life....  It's now reminding
me of how frightened and uncertain I was when I realized she was so sick...
and even though her surgery was ruinously (for me) expensive, my only
concern was not if I could afford the vet bill... but how I would manage
to pay it.  I remember crying on the way home from the vet... realizing
that I may never hear her happy little chirps again... the call from the
vet saying she was OK after the surgery was such a relief.

BTW... if I thought this trip was that risky, ie., that I'd die trying to
cross the Atlantic... I wouldn't do it.

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's to
dark to read."