From:
"Bruce Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 14 Jan 2001 13:11:35 -0500
Daer Darrin:

>i am not sure on this but I don't think a ferret could survive without
>any adrenal glands left.  Wanna give me some feedback, Dr. Williams???
>This is making me ponder....

Technically, Darrin, you are correct.

While many ferrets have had "bilateral adrenalectomies", this is in truth
rarely the case.  It is extreemly difficult ot remove all of the adrenal,
especially the right one, which often curls areound and uncer the vena
cava, a very difficult place to operate in.  In fact, most vets only get
about 75% of the right adrenal in most cases.

When you also factor in the fact that many ferrets have ectopic
adrenocortical tissue scattered throughout the abdomen - a peculiarity
of this species, it is not surprising that so many could live after
"bilateral adrenalectomies".

If we could truly remove all of the adrenal tissue from a ferrets body,
then without supplmenting the lost hormones, it would not be long for
the world.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams,  dVM