From:
kat parsons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Jan 2001 09:05:56 EST
>RE:  [log in to unmask]
>Subject: ferret illness
>I am a new ferret owner, and while reading this list, i have formulated a
>couple of questions:
>
>do ferrets have a high illness rate?  it seems that a large portion of
>the posts in this list deal with sick ferrets.

response...
that would be a normal reaction to someone new to the list...it is not that
they have a high rate of illness..it is because this is where we come for
help... most people tend to write when there is a problem...think about
it...would you write just to say all your ferrets are fine?...:) so no...
not a higher rate of illness...but a more concerned group of animal
lovers... i have written many times about my ferrets...but i do not belong
to a "cat group" about my cats... this group is in one part here to HELP
people...to share the experiences and learning processes about our
ferrets...that means we see alot about illnesses and tragedies... there
are well over 3,000 people on this list...with anywhere from 1 to 50-60-70
ferrets each...so in comparison...there are relatively few "illnesses"...we
just make sure everyone knows what to "look" for or notice to try to avert
a serious problem...

>My ferret plays with my roommates cat, is that going to make him more
>suceptible to illness?

response...
nope...at least i have never had a cat related problem with my ferrets...

>also, he doesn't really like to be held.  he's a brat and wants to wiggle
>away to go do stuff he's not supposed to do, so i usually just let him go
>after a few seconds, do i need to hold him more?  or is that maybe just
>his personality?  thanks in advance,

response...
this is a harder question....you NEED to let him know that YOU are the
boss...i don't let mine down "as soon as" they think they want down...i
cuddle a few moments more... but some are cuddlers...some are players...
and some are a combo of both to varying degrees...EACH FERRET IS AN
INDIVIDUAL...you will not find 2 that are just alike... it is normal for
ferrets to do things they are not supposed to...you just need to watch out
for the dangers to them...judge if it will hurt them as opposed to how much
mess they make for you to clean up...ferrets play, get into things...you
just make sure what they get into can not hurt them...then enjoy the
laughs...there are many many laughs...:)

hope this helps...:)
HUGS!!
kat

KITY= .. =KAT... ( a.k.a. ...FuzzieMom ) and the krew of "14 plus 3"
Rascal, Sassy, Wolfie, Monkey(Shine), Meeja, Narmy, PopPye, Noodles,
Sandi-Mandi, Hope-HollyHeart, Edison!, Lucky, Princess Cissy, and Uh-Oh!!!!
with Jack, Sassy, and Angel...staying for a while..:)
And holding "Bear" and "Geezer" close in my Heart...
Missing pieces of my heart...Marcel, LittleWhiteGirl, OldGuy, and the
biggest piece of my heart, Charlie!
The Ferrets' Pages... http://www.geocities.com/ferretlover97