From:
Natasha Mohr <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 13:27:29 -0600
Hi!  I was wondering about any possible side-effects of long-term lupron
use, especially as it relates to bone mass loss.  Squirt, one of our female
adoptees (don't know her exact age but it is guessed at 7 to 71/2 years
right now) has been on lupron for 18 months now -- she is on her third shot
of the 4 month depot, and it works **great** and is really long-acting in
her (over 6 months).  She is acting very happy and healthy now, active,
full coat, etc.  However, we had to have her spleen out a couple of months
ago, and the vet did the first x-ray we'd ever had to have on her.

We discovered some heartbreaking-looking, obviously quite old fractures --
two to her tail, one to her pelvis... Possibly the result of past abuse.
The real problem, however, is her spine.  There are two vertebrae toward
the middle of her back that look quite strange.  We (the vet and I) cannot
decide if they are old fractures, or if there is something else going on.
The vertebrae in question are almost translucent on the x-ray, and if it
were an old injury with arthritic complications, we would expect to see
the opposite -- calcium deposits and thicker bones, right?

She had a bad spell with one episode of incontinence and some wobbliness
for a little while after a small, unexpected fall, so we are very, very
careful with her now, but she is acting quite fine and *wants* to play,
jump, etc.  So it's a challenge keeping her safe.

My real concern, though, is what is causing this.  Could it be the lupron?
Something else?  *Could* it be an old injury?  I know she is geriatric in
ferret terms, but she is doing well now and I am concerned for her future.

-Natasha