Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 01:46:52 -0800
I have a situation regarding distemper vaccination that is really stressing
me out and I'm hoping someone can clear this up for me.  I know this
information is available on the net, but I'm getting conflicting
information from local vets.

Here goes....I brought my ferret, Bubu, home from a shelter in September
2000.  The shelter manager said he was told that Bubu was born in February
2000, but I was sure he was older than seven months because he already had
tartar buildup on his teeth.  His vaccination history was unknown by the
shelter manager and he did not receive any shots while at the shelter.  He
has two dots tatooed in his right ear so I thought he might be a MF ferret
(not sure if this will be relevant to the distemper question).  The day
after bringing him home we went to the vet and he received shots for rabies
and distemper.

OK, so here is the question.  Was Bubu supposed to get a second distemper
shot a few weeks later?  He did not get the second shot.  Within the
last few weeks, everything I've read on the internet and in "Ferrets
for Dummies" says he should have received the second shot because his
vaccination history was unknown and he was older than 16 weeks.  BUT, three
vets, including the one who gave the initial shot, a second whom I really
liked and respected, and a third who is supposed to be the best in the area
with ferrets (who was asked the question indirectly by a tech or office
assistant on my behalf}, have told me that the followup second shot is
unnecessary.

Am I missing something?  Physically he's fine but I'm really kind of
worried because we have been taking Bubu for walks in a park where many
dog owners walk there dogs.

Your assistance in this matter will be greatly appreciated.

Help me help Bubu. :-)
Thanks, Michael