From:
"Bruce Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 20:15:41 -0500
Dear Darrin:

>I just read that someone's ferret had gotten ECE from a pet store
>supposedly from handling the ferrets there.  Should i worry about this?
>I go to PETCO every other weekend to see the ferrets, and i often handle
>them.  Should I use an alcohol based sanitizer before i handle my ferret?

Well, I don;t know if I should answer this one, because you are probably
reading my post, but I will, for emphasis!

No, don't use an alcohol based sanitizer before handling your ferret -
STRIP DOWN, WASH YOUR CLOTHES, PUT YOUR SHOES AWAY, and TAKE A SHOWER
before handling your ferret.  Washing your hands isn't good enough
(anyone who wants to chime in, feel free).

The virus that causes ECE can easily be spread on inanimate objects as well
as your hands.  Now, not every pet store kit is going to be a shedder, or
be infected (porbably only a minority are.) But you can't tell, because
they look just as healthy as any other.

There is nothing wrong with your biweekly activity - but you need to
prevent any possibility of spreading it to the trusting ferrets at home.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM