Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 09:10:38 -0500
Thought I would let you all know what happened to us.  I read all the pros
and cons of vaccination but decided to get my guys distemper shots, I used
Galaxy D last year and all was well.  My vet did 4 ferrets the day before
and all was well.  We started with Squirrel, then Mousse then Hamster, by
the time he had done Hamster Squirrel was vomiting and blue.  Squirrel was
whisked into the back room, Hamster then started vomiting, he was whisked
away.  Hamster did ok, never got further than vomiting, but Squirrel bled
profusely from his rectum, lost loads of fluid and almost died.  Two
reactions out of three?  The vet put in a call to the distributor and we
are waiting to hear.  I have seven ferrets, four who are under 6 months
and I will never get a vaccination for any of them again.  Each to his own
opinion, but I feel this should be known.  I talked to a shelter owner
friend of mine and she told me they have experienced the same problem but
with a new twist, there are several reports of vaccinated ferrets crashing
big time 3-5 months after the shots.  I lost 3 guys last year and I don't
want to lose anymore to something as stupid as a vaccine they may not even
need.