From:
"Johns, Beth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 14:31:49 -0700
My seven year old daughter got one of those dinosaurs that looks alive when
you push a hidden button on its leg.  This triceratops tosses its head back
a few times, blinks its eyes, with one of its feet it paws the floor a few
times, then wags its tail and repeats the sequence once more roars and then
shuts off.  The frame of it is covered in I think latex that really feels
to me like reptile skin.  I couldn't wait to see what the girls would think
about it.

I waited until they had been out and playing for a while so that all the
other new things they had to check out wouldn't be such big distractions.
Frumpstiggle has a favorite sleeping place (a comforter we have folded up
in the corner of our bedroom) that she heads to when she has had enough
playing.  I situated myself in the hallway before the bedroom and here
trots Frumpy ready for her nap.  So just as she gets up to me I push the
button and pull my hands away quickly.  It sure got her attention!  Her
hair raised up (not quite bottle brush) and she was instantly smelling and
touching this strange moving thing.  As it tossed it's head back she tried
to grab the head with her paws, then the head wasn't moving and the paw
was.  She was instantly trying to grip the paw with her mouth but can't
quite get a grip.  Then the paw quit and the tail started.  That threw her
for a loop.  She went to the tail and then the tail quit.  Then the head
started again and she started to hop all around it excitedly.  She looked
at me as if to ask what is it and then went hopping at it.  At this point
it was at the paw portion of the cycle - she got a hold of that paw and
started to drag it off to her comforter.  Then my seven year old starts
yelling, "Mom that's my toy!  Don't let her take it!" I didn't stop
laughing for almost 20 minutes.

At Christmas this year Minerva decided that she doesn't want to run under
the cat anymore.  She found a few other tricks up her sleeve.  She
rediscovered one of her favorite games from back when she was an only
ferret.  It is to take one of my daughters kid sized plastic cups and put
it over her head and run blindly through the house and into the walls.
When the cup falls off she dooks and then puts it up again and runs as fast
as she can.  Her other all time favorite game is tag.  She altered the
rules this year, instead of running up and "hugging" your calf to get you
to chase her, now it is her sign that she wants to be carried.  And it has
to be a particular way too.  You have to hold her so her front paws are
dangling down one next to the thumb and one next to the pinky.  Her hind
legs have to be dangling on either side of your arm and her body must stay
balanced on the center of the arm.  You also can't stay still you have to
walk her around the house.  She has also decided that the cat should
transport her in this fashion as well.  The cat doesn't think so, but so
far Minerva has proven more determined of the two.  When she was exposed to
the dinosaur toy she thought that's what it was for and immediately climbed
on board waiting for her ride.  She was disappointed and didn't even look
at it again.

What particular games or funny behaviors do your furkids do?

Beth, Minerva, Frumpstiggle the Marshwiggle, & Persnickitty (the magic
persian carpet)