From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 17:36:54 EST
>First off, lets take care of the medical stuff.  What is the accuracy of
>the Tennessee Panel?  How much does it cost.  ... and always wants to do
>an ultrasound first.  I asked him about the TN panel and he said he had
>heard it was not very accurate.

First, I'm not a vet, but my experience with the Tenn.  Panel is that it is
"reasonably" accurate -- no lab test is 100% but it's been quite accurate
considering the number of tests that we had done here at the shelter.  Our
vet, Dr. Mike Dutton, will use it if the physical signs are questionable,
but will operate if he sees the obvious signs (significant hairloss over
the hindquarters, tops of feet, between the shoulder blades, etc.).
Several times he's operated and found one of the adrenals only very
slightly enlarged or just "discolored." Removal has been curative.

On the other hand, ultrasound, even in the hands of a skilled technician,
cannot detect those very tiny tumors or the "discoloration."  They may
detect larger tumors but, typically, by that time, the tumors are large
enough to cause obvious external signs of the adrenal tumor.  In my
opinion (again, I'm NOT a vet) ultrasound and x-ray are a waste of money.

Dick B.
4 Li'l Paws Ferret Shelter
Merrimack, NH