From:
Holly Gorrell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 11:17:04 EST
I had to rush one of my ferrets to the vet this morning.  She had nausea
and diarrhea - had completely stopped eating or pooping.  She was diagnosed
with giardia.  I was glad to hear that she did not have anything worse, but
I can't for the life of me figure out where she got it.

My 2 ferrets are strictly indoor ferrets (never go outside except trips
to vet in carrier).  We do not have a fish tank or any other sources of
stagnant water to the best of my knowledge.  We have a water filtration
system, and I always give them the filtered water.  I give them clean water
every day and clean their water dish and water bottle at least every other
day (usually every day).  They do not come into contact with any other
animals to the best of my knowledge.

I am concerned about the source, because I do not want them to catch it
again.  I am planning on treating both ferrets, because if one has it, odds
are the other one does as well.  I just want to make sure I eliminate the
original source of the problem.  I have had both ferrets for 3 years, so
it is not like a new ferret has recently been introduced either.  I have
not taken them to any ferret shows or allowed them to "visit" with any
other animals (except other humans).  Any ideas?  Do any of you have any
experience with this problem?  Any ideas where or how they may have
contracted this problem?  Please respond, any and all information will be
appreciated.

Holly,
Tigger (my sick girl) & Pooh