From:
David Welch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Dec 2000 11:33:15 -0500
Happy holidays to the FML!

Yes, Ferret Math struck, that unavoidable virus we all contract at some
point or another that seems to have no cure known to modern medicine.

The ferret in question is a very small kit about six weeks old (though the
Petco paperwork says three months, there is just no way... and a reminder,
if you're in Petco, check the ferret food and water... every time I go in
there they NEVER have food/water/or both.  It's distressing, though the
managers do take care of it the moment I mention it)

Anyways, the new ferret's name is Lea (lee-ah) and she is quite a little
nipper.  I think she was taken away from her mom way too early and she's
been teething all over the old clothing she uses to nest in.  I had left a
Marshall Farms Polar Fleece Ball for her but had to take it away because
she was really tearing into it and I was afraid that she would swallow
some of the cloth.

I gave her a couple other toys I have that are safer but she doesn't want
to play with those, she's seeking something soft and fuzzy which is a drag
because I don't want to have her hurt because she's swallowing bad stuff.

I gave her a ChewEasel for a bit but had to remove that as well because I
swear she would have eaten the entire thing in one mad romping session!

So the questions are:

1) Any suggestions about what sort of other teething items I can try to
give her that will not be harmful?  Maybe one of those really hard rubber
dog toys?  I need something to help her through this besides my hands.

2) I am wondering if anyone has ideas about other disciplinary measures
for biting.  I don't want to discipline her too hard right now, it's just
her youth that is contributing to it.  I have scruff/shaken her lightly
and done the verbal "NO" and very gently tapped her sensitive nose.  I
don't want to use gloves because I want her to get used to my scent, and
I don't want to use bitter apple because that stuff is putrid and may not
sit well with such a little kit.

So, if anyone has any other gentle disciplinary measures that you may know
of that work for you I would really love to hear from you!

Thanks and happy dooks to all!

Rune (the wise, aged ferret... seven years old and still going strong!!)
Ash (the only hob of the bunch... *yawn* just let me sleep... he's
     also the treat stealer... he'd rather have the other ferret's
     treats than his own)
Kayla (the soft fuzzy polar bear of a ferret *dookdookdook!!* she is
      endlessly inquistive and a bundle of fuzzy fun)
Lea (the babe of the bunch.  Lea is short of Leaper because when she
     pounces something her forelegs splay out wildly.. she's a
     dark sable and has a beautiful dark stripe that runs from
     her head all the way to her tail.)

and yes... Azrael the Faerie Cat... who spends a great deal of time trying
to escape the madly bouncing ferrets who find it terribly amusing to wind
their way in and out of her legs and trip her up, much to the bruising of
her feline pride.

Thank you all and have a happy and safe holiday season!

Dave Welch