Marc Wilson <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 09:59:16 EST

>>SO my questions are: Has anyone ever had an insulinomic ferret become
>>diabetic from pred and/or diazoxide?  And if so, did you get things back
>>to normal by cutting back or stopping either one?  Did anyone need to
>>start giving insulin?

>Pam - this is an odd case.  I've seen a number of ferrets become diabetic
>after surgery, but I think this is the first time I have seen a
>medically-treated ferret go diabetic.

My Slinky had Insulinoma (diagnosed in early 1998).  She had surgery in
May 98 and was put on pred in June 98 (after her blood glucose refused to
rise).  Her blood glucose finally got back to normal in October.  In early
December 98 she started crashing again.  But the vet diagnosed both low
(40s) and high (600 - if my memory serves me well) blood glucose levels
depending on the time of day.  Slinky eventually passed away when her
kidneys finally gave out.

Dr. Williams - don't know if this fits the case of a medically-treated
ferret developing diabetes (based on your definition), but thought I'd
mention it.

Marc Wilson and the New Tres Amigos (Rocky, Sam and Chloe)