From:
Joy Lenay Kerin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Oct 2000 20:27:53 EDT
In the past month my husband has wrote in to the FML about my Abu being
sick since I've been away.  I want to thank everyone very much for
responding to him, I'm sure he's been to overwhelmed to reply.

Abu has been diagnosed with megasophagus.  It was most likely brought out
by stress, he had an adrenal operation.  I've searched the archives and I
only found one ferret (Suzy) to have megasophagus.  Suzy lived active and
happy for about five months before the megasophagus became a real problem
and she had to be helped along to the Rainbow Bridge.  Apparently, there is
no cure for this.  Abu isn't having a problem keeping food down recently
but he is skinny and weak and I'm afraid he doesn't have even one month
before I will have to help him along.  Abu is currently on carafate,
although there's a chance that cisapride could work better.  The problem is
we can't find it anywhere.  Something about it was taken off the shelves
because of causing heart problems.  Right now I would try anything.  Abu
looks miserable and unless someone has suggestions about the megasophagus,
I think I will need suggestions about helping Abu along.  I've never had to
do that and I don't know if I can.  I don't want to be selfish and keep him
here when he doesn't have pretty much any quality to his life.  But I don't
want to do something that I can't change if there's a chance . . .

Joy