Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 10:22:59 -0800
From:
Danielle Frye <[log in to unmask]>
Not to stir up any more controversy about the NPR show that Mary and Eric
were on, but I feel Sukie's comments were very short-sighted.

I worked in radio for a very long time and this approach just does not
work.  If you think about it, how many NPR listeners know much about
ferrets?  If I recall, it was not a "pet show" it was about the media.
Now people who listen to that segment and do not have ferrets or don't
have experience with them, might have gotten the wrong idea listening to
the way the host bantered on.  When discussing any radio broadcast, one
must consider the audience and the message they are sending.  If this had
been a broadcast on a "pet show" or a "ferret show", I think others would
understand a little better, and might even laugh at the misconception he
projected.

MOST people (general public) would not get what you have suggested the host
was trying to do.  I said MOST, not all.

Have you worked in radio or been a producer?  Just curious.  I have.  In
fact, I worked in both talk radio and in other formats.

Also, I COMMENDED Mary and Eric for their responses.  If you want to
disagree with me, great, just make sure that you know plenty about radio
and that you have experience producing radio shows BEFORE you come forward
with comments.  My post was simply an observation about the host calling
ferrets "elongated guinea pigs".  He was sarcastic in his tone.  My first
reaction to that comment was that he was being negative and condescending,
which is most likely what the general public would pick up on - him making
fun of ferret owners and ferrets.  I encourage those who have not heard it,
to go listen.

If anyone cares to differ, please email me privately.  Sukie has disagreed
with me on many topics, and I believe it is a "personal" conflict, not an
unbiased observation.

Again, I thought Mary and Eric did a great job!  The host needs some
serious education about broadcasting and the message he sends out to the
masses with his sarcasm.  I can certainly understand being "controversial"
in broadcasting, but it needs to be directed at the right audience.  People
get upset all the time when ferrets are portrayed in a negative light and
that is what that host appeared to be doing.  My office mate, who does not
like ferrets, came to me and asked me if I heard the broadcast.  She felt
the host was rude, also.  I am not going to poll a whole bunch of other
NPR listeners, but this was the effect it had on someone who already has
the wrong idea (misconceptions) about ferrets.  Hopefully, people listened
to Mary and Eric and disregarded the host.  In radio, this is not likely
since people listen to certain programs because they like the host and the
opinions the host projects.

People don't listen to radio hosts that they do not like for long periods
of time, if at all.