Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 14:16:11 -0600
From:
Kathy Maxwell <[log in to unmask]>
Hi Everyone

Marie had posted a question on yesterday's F.M.L. about CDC breeders.  I
e-mailed her privately with some information but thought I would also
make a quick mention of it here.  I can say with certainty that CDC is
not a large scale pet mill by any means.  They only breed ferrets and by
comparison to the breeders in the U.S. their operation is relatively
small.

I can see with what was on the paperwork why people would think they bred
more than just ferrets and I would have probably come to the same
conclusion reading the heading.

On another note I thought people might be interested in an article I found
in a book put out by Globe Digest, called Why Do Pets Do That.  It doesn't
exactly put ferrets in a good light.  It was written by the former V.P.
for education of the ASPCA.  copyright 2000.  To people who don't know
anything about ferrets the blurb in this book wouldn't do them any favors.
Here is a copy of a letter I wrote to the publisher expressing my concern
and comments over the information.  I have left out the authors name here
because I don't know if I'm allowed to post it.  (BIG?) (The authors
comments are in quotation).  [Author's name is fine.  BIG]

See if this doesn't ruffle your feathers...

While in Wal-Mart the other day I happened on one of your books.  I quickly
flipped through it to see if there was anything on ferrets.  To my delight
there was.  As soon as I got home I read the small section on Do Ferrets
Make Good Pets.  I can't say I was happy with what I read.  ( As the owner
of 6 of these wonderful pets (and two dogs) I would like to comment on some
of the information that I found to be disturbing.

First, it said "Ferrets which are sometimes kept as pets".
(my response)  Ferrets are the number three owned DOMESTICATED pet in
North America.  I currently am aware of some 3000 ferret owners.

Second, "Ferrets are considered by some people to be domesticated".
(my response)  Ferrets are Domesticated pets.  They rely on humans to feed,
water and care for them.  "Ferrets are excellent hunters".  (my response)
Most domesticated ferrets do not know how to hunt.  I showed mine roaming
food and they looked at me like I was some kind of nut.

Third, "Ferrets are nocturnal".
(my response)  They are originally dawn and dusk animals like deer.  The
domesticated ferret actually adapts to the lifestyle of their human owner.
They are up and out for playtime at 6:00 a.m. when I get up for work and
again in the evening after supper.  They sleep at night with the exception
of getting up to eat or for a drink of water.

The last and most infuriating comments is that "Ferrets can be very
unpredictable", and "When frightened, ferrets are likely to bite".
(my response) I have no trouble predicting my ferrets.  Ferrets are like
cats and dogs in that they need to be trained.  When ferrets play they bite
each other their skin is very tough and they don't hurt each other.  They
don't understand that their human counterparts don't have the same tough
skin and need to be trained that the same behavior is not acceptable with
humans.  As far as biting when frightened, let me make this more than
clear, ANY ANIMAL WHEN FRIGHTENED WILL HAVE A TENDENCY TO DEFEND ITSELF!
If you were put in a threatening situation where your life may be in
danger, how would you act?  I'm sure your not just going to stand there
but would defend yourself with whatever means necessary.

I am amazed that someone in the authors position would not have done their
research more thoroughly.  Anyone picking up this book and reading the
section on ferrets, and not having owned one, would certainly not consider
it after reading this, not to mention the misinformation that they might
circulate.

I personally will not ever pick up one of these books again, I am not
blaming the publisher, but can't be assured of the factual information by
the person who wrote it.

If anyone happens to pick up this book there is an e-mail address in the
front.  Talk about setting ferret education back a few years.  Just to let
you know I never did get a response back to this letter and I am
considering writing the author.

Kathy and the Ferret Collective