Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 5 Jan 2001 21:13:23 -0500
From:
"Bruce Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Dear Andrea:

>Our ferret, Rocket got a hold of a full 8 oz baby bottle of 2% milk and
>dragged it under the stairs.  When I found the bottle while searching for
>him he had punctured the plastic pouch from the bottle and about half the
>milk was gone.  The carpet was wet from the milk so I'm not sure how much
>he drank.  I am wondering what I should be looking for and how bad is milk
>for ferrets?

If he got a good blast from the bottle - look for some loose stools -
that's about it.  It's not a great idea for ferrets who haven't been
drinking it all their life, but it's reallynot a major problem.  After
weaning, the enzymes which digest lactose quickly disappear and ferrets
become lactose intolerant.  So the lactose results in diarrhea - but no
big deal.  By the time you read this post, he should be fine.

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM