Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 21:56:01 -0500
From:
Caitlyn Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Hi, Cindi, and everyone else,

>I have a geriatric ferret diagnosed with adrenal disese.  He is lethargic,
>but seems age related as well as disease related.  He is balding, but the
>fur seems to be attempting to grow back.  His appetite is great.
>
>His life span is near its end and we have so far opted not to subject him
>to surgery.  Are there any alternative treatments?  Anything to help him?

If Barry is, as you say, quite old, it seems to me you are probably making
the right choice.  He probably isn't a good surgical candidate anyway and
adrenal disease can take a long time to progress.  Lupron depot is the
usual alternate treatment.  Several ferrets in the local club have been
treated this way and it does relieve the symptoms.  Of course, it doesn't
stop the progress of the disease, but it may give Barry a good quality of
life for the rest of his natural days.  You should talk to your vet about
it.

>If this is caused by premature neutering, is this practice being stopped?

I don't think there is any solid scientific evidence, at least none that
I've seen, that directly links premature neutering to adrenal disease.
It is one of the suspected causes, but without proof I don't think you or
I or anyone else will get the practice changed any time soon.

I personally believe that the breeding practices of the large ferret
farms and many smaller breeders, diet, a small breeding (gene) pool, and
environmental factors all could have something to do with the increased
incidence of adrenal tumors.  I just wish there was some way to arrange
funding for some serious study into the subject.

Give your fuzzies a hug for me.  Good luck to Barry, and a Happy New Year
to everyone in your home, two footed and four footed.

All the best,
Caity and the exuberant eight