Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 29 Dec 2000 15:04:47 -0500
From:
Public Relations <[log in to unmask]>
Hi all,
It's just a tired shelter Mom checking in before getting a few hours sleep.
Jerimiah will return soon to give a more enjoyable report!  Just as soon as
I am finished assisting in the NJ transports etc.  I am exhausted -- LOL!
In efforts to get ready for our share of the NJ beasties-- I have a cage
being expedited from Martin's cages and it should make it here in time for
assembly before the transfer.  I am coordinating ferret transfers for four
shelters to date -- and still looking for more here in NE. so goes shelter
life.  (This time around with this rescue -- all the vet care is provided
re: spay / neuters, ADV testing and CD boosters-- so any shelter which has
room for one or two-- I am told the med files travel with each kid-- speak
up now is the time to arrange to help these kids!  We will be bringing the
groups up this way the end of next week ( to avoid the storm) Thank the
powers that be for the insight to stock up on ferret food!

The vet called this evening with the test results for our mascot Bear.
Things could be better.  He has another infection -- I knew that his nose
leather is pale so is BACK on baytril.  His liver profile was normal--
a bit of good news, but the fluids drawn from the abdomen are high in
nutrofils ( sp) and have infection present... the conclusion is along with
the heart problems under lying recurring infection from the two botched
anal sac removals etc ... Bear has lymphoma.  He is on lasix for now and
antibiotic and if we pull through we will start the balancing act of pred
and lasix... for extension of quality time.  It really- really stinks if
you will allow me.  I am losing one of my own ferts simultaneously and have
to monitor him very close daily-- if he goes comatose again the decision
is to let him go as his heart can only take so much of this -- now Bear...
just last Christmas the shelter lost mascot Ewok to cardiomyopathy-- now I
wonder-- so many heart problems- they are posted almost daily-- - could it
be the diet is too rich?  Damn I hope not-- but I know of another person
who had skunks on kibbled diet and they all 33 died of cardiomyopathy--
she later learned she was feeding them too well!!

I guess only time will tell in the ferret community whether diet will play
a role in this apparent rise in reported cardiomyopathy!

Again-- THANK YOU to everyone who played secret Santa to our kids here at
Ferret Wise- Casper, Bear, Sterling, Rex Daniel & Marie ( all permanent
care ferrets) send their love and appreciation and Bear is especially
happy!  I will have pics posted somewhere later of his and the other elders
who received gifts for the holiday celebration-- when I get the time!

May the New Year bring us all Peace, joy and Happy - healthy ferrets with
loving caretakers!

Alicia
a shelter mom
www.ferretwise.org