Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 12:50:44 -0800
From:
Jaime Wolf <[log in to unmask]>
Hello- I thought Jodi's response was pretty comprehensive, but just
wanted to add a slightly different perspective on having ferrets in CA.
I actually don't have ferrets myself (a friend does), but we have found it
to not be a big deal.  Reasonable precautions should be taken, but we have
found a great vet and have never had a problem or scare with her or the
office in terms of anyone threatening to turn my friend in.  In fact, this
issue has never come up at all for my friend.  We don't feel nervous about
driving them somewhere.  My friend does take them out occasionally,
although I realize not everyone would feel comfortable doing that- it is a
very personal decision and probably one best deferred until you get the lay
of the land here and feel like you know enough to make a decision about it.

There is no problem finding ferret supplies in most pet stores.  No one
is there waiting for you in the aisles to arrest you if you buy ferret
paraphernalia (sorry, had to add some humor!  :), but seriously, most of
the people in the pet stores say "wow, do you have ferrets??  They are so
cool!" We tell them that ferrets make great pets and should be legalized-
it's our little part we do to try to educate people.  They carry the
popular ferret magazines and ferret books in pet stores here too.

I don't know anything about shipping ferrets to CA, but I would agree with
Jodi about not risking that.  You can find a way to drive in with them- my
friend has done it and others have too- see the Ferrets Anonymous website
for more details.  Feel free to email me if you want to talk more about
this.

Good luck,
Jaime