From:
Dick Bossart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jan 2001 13:11:29 EST
>I tried Advantage Flea Control spray on my kids.  Didn't help at all....
>both times the furkids were scratching and biting themselves again within
>minutes.

Neither Advantage nor Frontline should be expected to make your ferret flea
free at the time of application.  They work by being absorbed through the
skin and do their job by being transported throughout the ferret's system
to the layers just under the skin.  This may take 24 - 48 hours, and in
the meantime, the fleas may continue to harass the ferret.

With severely infested ferrets, we've used VetKem spay to kill the adult
fleas that are on the ferret, then spray with Frontline according to the
vet's instructions.  Always worked well.

If you are using a ferret-safe flea spray (or giving a flea bath), one tip.
First start with a ring of spray (watch the eyes) (or shampoo) around the
neck.  This will prevent the fleas from migrating to the head, eyes, ears,
nose, etc., when you spray (or bathe) the rest of the body.  Then spray
some on your hands and rub it onto the head and around the eyes and ears.
With shampoo, let it set for the prescribed time period before rinsing
well.

Dick B
4 Li'l Paws Ferret Shelter
Merrimack, NH