From:
"Bruce Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Dec 2000 20:51:20 -0500
Dear Lynn:

>I brought two ferrets to the clinic to be used as donors.  The doctor that
>was taking care of her said that with the first the first transfusion they
>wouldn't have to cross match or cross type blood, but if she needed more &
>used a different ferret, they would have to.
>
>Is this true?  What would be the reason?

No it's not true.  Ferrets do not have blood groups that require cross
matching in the event of blood transfusions.  You can utilize both donors
without problem.

I am sorry about Sam.  However, I think I would hold off on surgery to try
to identify the source of the blood.  The two most common problems, that
cause profuse bloody diarrhea in ferrets are shock and a large bleeding
ulcer.  Shock is more common - it is a non-specific sign, but when they go
into shock, blood pools in the intestine and is passed out with the next
BM.  Either way, neither of these is a surgical problem.  I would discuss
this carefully with the vets, ask them what precisely they would be looking
for on surgery, to prevent a possibly life-threatening "fishing trip".

With kindest regards and New Year's hope for Sam,
Bruce Williams, dVM