From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Nov 2000 17:58:48 EST
Sukie wrote:

>I think that what felt like too much to the poster who complained was not
>the Rev's mentions of his own personal beliefs, because as a stated atheist
>that person would know what it is like to be derided for personal beliefs.
>I think that the individual felt that there was a bit of proselytizing and
>that and the implied criticism involved in such proselytizing caused the
>difficulty.

Thank you, Sukie, for articulating my position better than I did myself
(apparently).

>Seems like there are two possible solutions: either no religious mention
>takes place at all on the list, or no one tries to alter another's personal
>religious bent.  I prefer the latter; it's intriguing to learn other's
>stances but insulting to have my own decried.<

My beliefs exactly!!  This is a "fine" but very important distinction!  I
support everyone's right to proclaim their beliefs, I just don't want mine
denigrated in the process!  That post in question was the 1st post from
Rev.  Sims that I have objected to and it was precisely because he
essentially accused the poster he was responding to of "having no hope"
and being in the need of his prayers to change his/her beliefs.  We would
not accept this kind of talk on this list if he were trying to "convert" a
Jew, Wiccan or even a homosexual.  Why should he (or anyone) be "allowed"
to insult atheist/agnostic views?

Anonymous Atheist in CA (& getting tired of being misunderstood)