From:
Randy Horton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Nov 2000 05:04:46 -0800
Having already seen a dozen of our shelter ferrets getting cryo surgery at
the office of Dr. Paula Bumpers in Littleton, Co. and knowing many other
clients of mine who have also had the procedure done, I just had to comment
on how pleased we are with results of this wonderful procedure.  Having
also observed it many times and videotaped it, I would suggest that anyone
who has access to this procedure use it over traditional surgery.  We have
not lost one ferret to it and found the recovery time much better in time
and ease of care post op.

Also, for all you folks out there using Lupron, you need to knoe in case
you haven't been told that Lupron therapy is not a cure for the adrenal
problems our fuzzies are constantly dealing with.  It is only a delay to
the inevitable and should only be used as a way of reducing the symptoms
until a ferrets health is at a level to do surgery.  It will help reduce
the symptoms somewhat and cause hair to grow back and this can cause a
false sense of security.  Many folks I've talked to believe their ferret
is cured when the hair grows back and this is not the case.  Ever!  The
surgery still needs to be done and in most cases, Lupron therapy will bring
your ferret to a level of health that will enable them to better cope with
surgery, especially in older ferrets.

Also, just because your ferret is old is not a good reason for opting out
of surgery.  I have many ferrets here at the shelter that have rec'd their
surgery at 9-11 years old and are now very HHH because we chose to get the
surgery for them.  HHH stands for Hairy, Healthy and Happy.  Being a no
kill shelter means we don't even think of not getting the surgery.  I would
rather lose them on the table than have them die in my arms looking at me
with that please help me look in their eyes.  If you ever go through that
once, you will opt for surgery the next time.  By the way, Dr. Bumpers
was trained by Dr. Weiss and I'm told he has a video out for those of you
who have vets who want to learn the procedure.  The video I have is a
combination blunt instrument removal and cryo of both the left and right
adrenals.  No sharp instruments were used once inside to avoid damamging
the vena cava.  Dr. Bumpers # is 303-948-5000 in case anyone would like
to call her or if you are local and have questions for her.

Hugs to all,
Ferretguy