From:
Phyllis Spy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Oct 2000 08:14:29 -0700
Greeting to FML -

I would like to add my two cents worth to some posts I have been reading.

1)Time for ferrets - when you make a commitment to something as important
as another living creature that commitment has to be honored, at all costs.
I have found that I don't have as much time for my 3 cats (all adopted) as
I used to, but the thought of giving them up is out of the question.  I do
not want to be part of the "throw away" attitudes that are plaguing our
society today.

2) Breeders - ALL breeders should take a hard look at the numbers of
shelter ferrets and use those numbers to determine how many, if any, babies
should be put out there for sale.  Shelters all over the country are filled
to maximum capacity and we are worrying about what colors are acceptable
to breed.  The first issue, shelter ferrets, should be addressed before
thinking about adding to the already overwhelming burden our shelter
moms/dads are facing today.

3) Guidelines for pet stores - should be made available by shelters,
breeders, or ferret-smart people.  There is plenty of information out
there, available at no cost, that should be given to any pet store that
looks like it is not following safe, healthy standards for ferrets.  Any
person going into a pet store that is not using these standards has a moral
obligation to speak to the owner/manager about the bad conditions and to
insist that the situation be corrected.  We can't just look at the adorable
baby, wish we could buy it and then walk away and HOPE that the little one
gets a home soon.  I did this once with a sick kit at a pet store and
then decided to work a deal with store owner.  When I called to make
arrangements to buy baby, I was told that she had been STOLEN!!!  I cried
for days, but mostly I promised that I would never just leave without
saying or doing something.

This is not meant to blame or fault anyone, but I, like everyone else,
has an opinion and this is one of the place that it can be aired.  The
discussions that take place with this group is very healthy and more
discussions about all subjects should be encouraged, even when all parties
don't agree.  Discussion (not to be mistaken with flaming) is very
advantageous to more information getting out to the people that need and
want to hear it.

Phyl & The Furrats