From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 01:17:33 -0400
[Moderator's note: Due to the nature of this post, in an attempt to keep
things a bit more peaceful I forwarded this to Randy Horton and waited
for his reply so I could post it along with this note.  BIG]

When finding a new home for your ferret, it is always advised that you
carefully screen the eager adopter.  The same is true when relinqishing
your animal to a shelter.  Not all shelters are created equal.  It was
posted by Randy Horton of Especially Ferrets that he has over 150 ferrets
at this time and is willing to take still more.  No one can do justice
to so many ferrets without a major staff consisting of veterinary
professionals and full time trained caregivers.  Mr. Horton has proved this
true for I have visited his shelter and was appalled at the conditions.
Ferrets are housed in a mishmash of small crates and cages, stacked one
upon the other.  Ferrets above urinate and defecate on those below.  No
ferrets were out exercising.  Miscellaneous syringes and dirty cleaning
equipment were scatered around.  The scene was one of chaos.  Evidently
sick ferrets were unattended.  Volunteer "caretakers" were lounging around
chating but not caring for ferrets.  I was informed that no medical
personnel were around and that Mr. Horton did treatments, although he is
not trained to do so, and that he was also no longer regularly on scene.
A former volunteer who called me, said she could no longer work under such
conditons.

In our State, the US Department of Agriculture inspects and licenses
shelters.  I lam led to believe that he has been granted a license.  Mr.
Horton takes ferrets from everywhere and anywhere and adds them to his
menagerie without proper quarantine.  The likelihood of an epidemic is
reality.  Since he should either be ordered to clean up his act and be
restricted to no more than 50 ferrets, it would appear that he serves some
purpose of the USDA.  I can think of no other reason that he would be
allowed to continue to operate in this fashion.  He also breeds ferrets "to
support his shelter".  That is a contradiction in purpose.  Like selling
bombs to finance a peace initiative.

So if you are considering turning your unwanted ferret in to a shelter,
understand that not all shelters are created equal.  You should visit the
prospective shelter yourself, ask to see a license, ask about staff and
medical care and use your own eyes to evaluate cleanliness and environment.
Spend some time talking with the operator and staff.  Otherwise you may
be condemning your ferret to a miserable existence where it may receive
neither the medical care, husbandry, affection or exercise that you might
have been led to expect.  Most shelters do provide these basic needs.
Obviously not ALL shelters do.

I have posted anonimously as I need to protect my identity until such
time as I can present my case to the USDA.  If they are unwilling to lay
down the law to this shelter owner, then they themselves may need to be
investigated.

[AC]