From:
"F. Scott Giarrocco" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jan 2001 08:19:20 EST
>Has anyone on this list ever heard of treating an animal or ferret with
>shark cartilage?  I work in Whole Foods in the nutrition department and I
>was reading about what shark cartilage could possibly be good for and what
>I read kind of gave me a little hope for my Tazy, I know I'm probably
>grasping at straws but at this point I'm desperate to try anything!!!!!

Hi,

I used shark cartilage when my guide dog was on chemotherapy -- as well
as several other natural treatments.  I discovered that processed shark
cartilage does nothing beyond draining your wallet.  To have any
effectiveness -- beyond lubricating the bowel, much like cod liver oil --
the shark cartilage must be freshly processed and not cooked.  To do that,
you will need a supply of fresh whole shark, a blender dedicated the the
processing of the shark cartilage, and a strong nose.

You can ask the meat department of your local grocery store to butcher the
shark for you -- keep the shark meat, it's good eating -- and take the
backbone of the shark, place it in the blender and puree.  Then feed the
freshly processed shark cartilage to your patient.

Does it work?  I can't really say for sure -- I was in a situation where
I was desperate and would try anything.  I can't say that it was the
chemotherapy, the natural remidies -- shark cartilage, high concentrations
of beta carotene, and imported chinese green tea, to name a few -- that
gave me extended time with my Earl, my guide dog.  I do know Earl developed
a positive appetite for everything and seemed more cheerful and energetic.
All I do know is that the processed shark oil capsules have very little
value.

Good luck.

Scott