Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2001 16:18:10 EST
Hi everyone!

Its been awhile since I posted, but when I saw the post regarding the
person using CornCob Litter in their litter box, I felt I must post about
what I know about this litter.

A couple of years ago the Petco where I live had started using it in their
ferret cages.  It wasn't long before a couple of ferrets came down with
blockage caused by CornCob litter.  A very expensive mistake, and a very
costly one also for both ferrets and Petco employees!

I still feel the recycled newspaper litter is probably one of the best,
although it is getting much more expensive here in the Washington State
area.  I just went to mixing this litter with the wood pellet litter and
have found it to work great.  It does seem that the wood pellets absorb the
urine odor very well.  The first couple of days the ferrets had to snorkle
in the litter since it was different, but now they seem to now ignore it
and accept it as their litter.  So far have had no problems finding wood
pellets at the Home Depot stores in the garden area.  I do know thou you
must not put any wood pellets down your septic system.  We have been using
wood pellets for our cats for years and would off and on put some down the
toliet as we disposed of the fecal matter and what happens the wood sawdust
will compact and get stuck down in your plumbing system!  So be extra
careful when disposing of the wood pellets!

I also wanted to see if Dr. Williams know anything about these products
being used for adrenal symptoms.  It has come to my attention that some
people have been using DHEA (Dehydroepiandrosterone)and Drenamin.  These
people have found that they have had lots of success with them.  Does
anyone know for sure if they do work.

Also wanted to let everyone know that we have been getting many ferrets
into the Washington Ferret Rescue and if anyone in the Seattle area are
looking to adopt ferrets, please consider a shelter instead of going to
the Petcos in the area!

Charleen Schuster