From:
Pam Sessoms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 2001 15:03:29 -0500
>I'm surprised that so many people responded to this question about the
>best sedative to use prior to euthanizing.  I posted a question a few
>weeks ago asking about why the poor babies tails brush up when passing
>and got not one response.

I replied to the sedative question, but I can't say why they would puff up
their tails at this time.  I've seen two put down, and neither of them did
this (vet came to my home and pre-treated with Telazol, very stress-free).
I have occasionally heard of ferrets puffing up their tails when they died
on their own or having been found dead with a puffy tail, but again I have
no idea why that would be.  Maybe someone else knows?

-Pam S.