From:
Debbie Utter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Jan 2001 19:21:35 -0500
I have to agree with Tracy's post about the lack of ferret-competent vets.
I live in an area that seems to be devoid of vets that specialize in
ferrets.  I'd be happy with a vet that could at least diagnose a disease or
blockage.  I'd be tickled with a vet that could perform corrective surgery!
The vet closest to me (a two-minute drive) has been used for shots, but he
never so much as examines the ferrets while they're there.  He completely
missed a blockage when we had our first ferret, and she ended up dying at
the tender age of four months after 2-3 weeks of just getting worse and
worse; he saw her three times and never mentioned the possibility of a
blockage!  Although I have to give him credit for saving one of my ferrets
that had a severe reaction after his last shot.

I recently switched to another vet (a 20-minute drive away) to see if he's
any better.  I was told by the receptionist when I made the appointment
that he has seen lots of ferrets and, to date, has never had to refer one -
he's been able to treat whatever he was presented with.  I'm impressed that
he actually examines the ferrets, but was disappointed that he does not
separate shots by a couple of weeks or so - he's always given them at the
same time, and never had any problems.  Needless to say, I didn't let him
give the second shot at the same time!  I've already had one ferret have
a reaction, thank you very much!  I suspect one of my ferrets has adrenal
disease, and I need to call the vet's office to see if he can
diagnose/treat adrenal disease.  I sure hope so!

Debbie, Becky, and the ferts - Brae, Templeton, Sally, Phoebe and Klondike
Remembering Jamie - with us such a short time, but special because she was
our first