From:
Anastasia Kidd <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 09:52:27 EST
Hello all!  My post was rejected as too long so I'll try again.

As Anne mentioned, I brought Fugly home on Saturday.  I also brought home
all of my carriers and my sick cage as they won't be needed anymore.
Thank goodness, right Anne?

I arrived at Anne and Jim's before Dino had left with the 22 ferrets to
make the trip to New England.  I got to say goodbye to many of the ferrets
that I helped take to the vet for their spay/neuters.  I am thrilled that
they are off to new homes, yet each and every one of them touched my heart
and I will always remember them and wonder how they are doing.  I'm tempted
to create an eGroup for the new owners just so we can keep track of them
and know how they're doing and even what their new names are.  I wonder if
folks would be interested in joining such a group?

Anyway, I stayed to help Anne and Jim put their ferret room back together.
I must say that I love their set up and I've been taking hints from them in
getting my own ferret room arranged.  Admitedly with all the extra cages,
the room is a bit more full than usual, but the ferrets have loads of space
to run and play.

When all was cleaned and the ferrets were settled, I happily put Fugly,
into a carrier and headed home.  When I got there, I did some quick cage
rearranging.  Christopher still needs to be separate because of his special
bland diet but as Fugly is a BIG ferret, he has need of the bigger cage.
When he is less hormonal, I'll try to work him into the group cages.  As
I worked, Chris strolled over to peek into the carrier.  Fugly exitedly
dooked at him.  Once Chris was settled into his new cage, I let Fugly out
while I set up the cage for him.  He immediately began dooking and dancing
as he ran around the room exporing.  He sniffed at the other ferrets in
the other cages who sniffed back.  He never once stopped chuckling.  He
war-danced and bounced and he even invited me to play, dancing around my
feet happily while I laughed.  What a change!

When Fugly arrived at Anne's, he was filthy and absolutely terrified.  He
bit out of fear.  Still, under the dirt and wild eyes, he is a beautiful
albino boy with a bully head and super long fur.  Anne believes he may be
of Canadian stock because of the shape of his ribcage.  He's young too,
perhaps 1 year old give or take a few months.  He broke my heart that
Saturday night, the last of the ferrets pulled from a carrier, so utterly
scared.  I wanted him right then, even if he was a biter.  He's relaxed
since and is now a good boy, albeit still easily startled.  I've told my
housemates to treat him as though he were deaf (he isn't) to prevent
startling him any more.  I'm sure in time he will relax further and those
precautions won't be necessary.

Jim is mostly responsible for his name, which I'll be keeping.  It'll be a
constant reminder of the tragedy of his beginnings.  When we took #63 to be
neutered, Jim picked him up, looked at the filth caked into his belly and
at his yellowed fur and red eyes and laughingly proclaimed him one fugly
ferret.  I decided that was to be his new name.

I am so thrilled to have Fugly home with me.  He danced for me again
tonight!  He's got a bit of a cold I think, but I'm not surprised after
what he's been through.  I'm just going to baby this big boy and see him
over it.  It'll be a good excuse to spoil him rotten.

Take care everyone!  And Let me add my kudos to you all for donating so
generously to these kids and the people who are helping them.  You all
deserve much congratulations!

Anastasia Kidd, Plainfield NJ