From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Jan 2001 07:47:55 EST
I got a call Saturday from a wonderful woman in an adjoining state who
had earlier that day visited a "shelter" near her.  She left without a
ferret, because of the conditions, which included overcrowding and being
"substandard in the cleanliness department" (her words).  She was very,
very upset.  She also told me that the "shelter" was breeding, and had
cages of baby ferrets, which she wasn't allowed to go near.

This is one of many so-called "shelters" that are actually breeding
operations, who cry poverty constantly, but continue to breed ferrets,
who ask for donations for their "shelter" ferrets, many of whom are simply
retired breeders.  Arrggghhhhh.  What is WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE???  Do you
really place your wallet above the humane care of the ferrets?  Why do you
continue to breed, and yes, I suspect in this case to sell to pet stores,
when you call yourself a "shelter"?  How DARE you repeatedly ask for money
from the public, when you continue to breed ferrets?  If you can't take
care of them without donations, STOP BREEDING!!!!!!!!  Can't you all learn
a lesson from what has happened recently in NJ, but before that in New
England, the DC area and the Mid-West?

You all make me so sick that I simply want to puke.  On your shoes.

The good news is that I referred the caller to a REAL SHELTER, NOT A
BREEDER CALLING THEMSELVES A SHELTER!!!  (closer to the caller than I am) I
am sure she will make a great ferret mommy, and I'm sure the REAL shelter
will take great care of her :-)

Please folks, if you want to adopt from a shelter, be careful on who you
are adopting from.  There are lots of REAL shelters, with REAL shelter
ferrets out there who need homes.  If you want to support a shelter, again,
there are REAL shelters who are certainly worthy of your support.

I'm not condemning shelters that breed one or two litters a year from
their personal ferrets, who after the parents are 3-4 they have them
altered and keep them as their pets to live out their lives.  My problem
is with certain people who claim to be shelters and are just breeders in
disguise.  If that's what you are, admit it.  Who do you really think you
are kidding!  This seems especially rampant in a state adjoining NJ where
I live.  I know of at least three that fit this catagory.

I also strongly advise people to require ADV testing of ANY ferret, be it
shelter or breeder or even pet store before they bring it into their home.
(I will say that provided it goes directly from MF to the pet store, there
seems to be NO instance of ADV in MF ferrets-the ones that are testing
positive either went though a wholesaler with an ADV problem, or were
exposed in the home to others with ADV.)

If you have a problem with my words, come on over and help take care of
the 30+ ferrets in my house because of a "shelter" who was a breeder in
disguise.  Not counting the 30 that were there already.

Anne