From:
"Bruce Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jan 2001 21:43:56 -0500
Dear Cindi:

I am sorry to hear about Barry - you didn't mention how old he was, though.

>I am wondering.....how does the disease end?  What do I look for?  What's
>next?  Will he die naturally and not in pain or will I have to euthanize
>him?  Can anyone give me feedback?

The majority of ferret with inoperable adrenal malignancies tend to simply
get weaker and weaker, and eventually stop eating and drinking.  A few go
unexpectedly due to rupture of the tumor and hemorrhage into the abdomen,
and rarely, severe anemia may develop.  Generally, pain is not evident,
but ferrets are pretty stoic, so I don't know if we would be able to pick
it up.

I can't tell you if euthanasia will be required - every ferret is
different.  You'll know.

No chance you would take a chance on a salvage operation - it sounds like
he might not make it through, but you also sound like you are not ready
to give up just yet....

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams, DVM