From:
"Bruce Williams, DVM" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 14:15:59 -0500
Dear Margie:

>Question: A friend of mine got a pet store kit for herself for Christmas.
>How contagious is ECE for me to visit her, if I don't handle the ferret?
>My kids ages range from 1 1/3 to 4 years old.
>
>There is no way I want to put my kids in any jeopardy, please advise.

Unfortunately, pet store kits are now the #1 transmitters of ECE, and the
coronavirus that causes it is contagious enough that handling the kits
isn't necessary.

No jeopardy?  No visit.

However, an acceptable risk would be a visit, followed by stripping down
and showering and washing your clothes immediately when you get home
before visiting your own ferrets.  Shoes too - you can track in the virus.

The threat of ECE does not mean all social interactions stop; it means
that you are wary, and understand the risks involved.  Tell your friend
I said Hi!

With kindest regards,
Bruce Williams