From:
Debbie Utter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 18:23:07 -0500
Eventually I plan to replace the ferrets' cage.  They currently have a
Midwest cage measuring 36x24x48.  It came with a ferret I adopted over two
years ago.  No idea how old it is.  It's in pretty decent shape, although
there is some rust.  I've always been concerned about toes or nails getting
caught in the "brackets" or whatever they are that hold the corner bars
together - I've read way too many posts here about cage accidents.  About a
week or so before Christmas, Brae got a TOE caught between two vertical
bars - and he was on the OUTSIDE of the cage!  Not sure how he managed it,
but suddenly he was screeching and carrying on.  It's a good thing I was in
the room and got to him as quickly as I did.  He probably would've ripped
his toe off (it was the whole toe that was caught - not just the nail).
Luckily, no permanent damage was done if you don't count the extra gray
hairs I got.  Brae's toe was sore enough that he didn't use it at first,
but nothing was cut or torn.

The reason for my post is to find out what everyone recommends for the
SAFEST ferret cage.  How about a Martins cage?  I need a cage big enough
to house five ferrets.

Thanks for your help.  I'm current on the FML, so post there - there may
be others who'd like to know.  While you're at it, if you've had a bad
experience with a particular brand/model of cage, it might be good to post
that, too.