From:
John Rosloot <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jan 2001 17:41:34 -0600
>From:    Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
>Hi i am a first time ferret owner and i was wondering if ferrets are
>better in pairs or multiples?  I have a 6 month old female sable named
>Peanut, she is perfectly happy but i think she might be even happier with
>a buddy.  I welcome all suggestions and thank you for then.

Many people seem to be subject to 'ferret math'; once they start getting
multiple ferrets they can't stop.  I seem to be immune to this condition
myself; probably a genetic defect on my part.  :)

I always found the perfect number for me was two.  My first ferret, Buddy,
seemed kinda bored by himself.  He perked up when I got Cassie, at least at
first.  Those two were inseparable for the rest of Bud's life (although it
was really Cassie who bonded more to him than the other way around).

One problem with having only two is when one inevitably passes on the other
is left suddenly alone.  This was why I got my third ferret, Sammy, while
Bud & Cassie were still both around.  Bud was getting older, and I wanted
Cassie to have some comfort when he passed away.

I found three ferrets a lot to handle at times.  Maybe the problem was that
Sammy got into more mischief by himself than the other two put together.
Still, I wouldn't have given up any of them for the world.

Now it's just me and Sammy; Buddy passed away in 1995, a year and a half
after I got Sammy.  I lost Cassie unexpectedly just 5 months ago to cancer;
she seemed perfectly healthy till a month before she died.  It's a little
lonely at home with just one ferret, but Sammy is as affectionate as three
normal ferrets, and he still seems happy.  I'm not ready for another yet.

As for what's the right number for you; that depends on you.  Everyone is
different.  Which I guess isn't much help; sorry. :)

One thing to keep in mind is that the more ferrets you have, the more
medical bills you'll have down the line.  Make sure you can afford to pay
for surgeries and meds for when your ferrets get older.  I'm pretty far
in debt on my credit cards from vet bills over the past couple of years;
but I'm willing to go in debt to keep my ferrets healthy and happy.

One idea is when you get a ferret, to start setting aside money every month
for future medical bills ($25 a month maybe?).  I'll probably do that if I
get another.

--
John Rosloot, Caregiver to Sammy
With loving memories of my dear departed Buddy,