From:
Kim Schilling <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Nov 2000 13:59:27 EST
[Posted in 2 parts, combined.  BIG]

Sara, Sara, Sara.How could you?

I waited a day to respond to the GCFA post Sara from FURRY made, because
I was too angry and irrational to respond with any sort of tact.  I'm glad
I did too, because Norine, Donna and Patty (who are more qualified to
speak on GCFA policies and their involvement with FURRY than I am) said
everything I wanted to say, but even better in today's FML.  Phew!  Thanks,
you guys.  That will make my post MUCH shorter.  (You'll all be relieved)

Sara, I've heard GCFA's version of their interactions with you and I have
to say there are ALWAYS two sides to a story.  I'm really disappointed you
chose the FML to air your distorted views.  This, in my opinion, sheds a
bad light on you, and I've heard such good things about FURRY, as well as
you and Kurt.  I hope you rethink your views and try to put things into
perspective before bashing one of the most wonderful organizations I've
ever had the privilege of being involved with.

On adoption policies: What reputable shelter accepts adoption contracts or
applications from a stranger (or any person) via mail or fax??  None that I
know of, including my own shelter.  Shelters don't work this way.  So the
person you say did this and wasn't responded to.I ask, who is this person
and how in the world did he or she get her hands on an adoption contract
in the first place?  The goal of GCFA and any reputable shelter is to
guarantee the animal is placed in a permanent loving home - never to see
a shelter or bad life again, whatever the case may be.  The only way to
do this is to meet potential adopters face to face.  If someone's too darn
lazy to make the trip to a shelter to go through the adoption process,
they're too darn lazy and uncaring to adopt an animal.  Period.  I don't
even respond to most e-mails generated off my website.  All information
about each adoptable animal is on the site.  If someone is REALLY
interested, they can pick up the phone and call me.  If they won't take
the time to do that, they aren't worthy (in most cases) to have one of my
animals.

On GCFA's "tough" adoption procedure: Say what?  Gimme a break.  I walked
into the GCFA many years ago, a young punk with spiked hair (now I'm an
old punk), with ZERO ferret experience.  I talked to them.  I filled out
applications.  I told them about my other animals and my vet.  They
(particularly Mary and Norm) were so kind.  They taught me what I needed to
know to get started.  They were patient and loving.  They assured me they'd
be there for advice and support at ANY time if needed.  I walked out with
3 old ferrets with special needs: Simon, Scooter and Oscar - the loves of
my life.  And I went back for more and more.  The adoption procedures for
GCFA are thorough and typical (having adopted animals from MANY shelters
myself), but they aren't difficult by any stretch of the imagination.

On turning over ferrets to another shelter: Hey, you want to help?  That's
admirable!  But GCFA puts a lot of money into every ferret that comes into
the shelter.  The only way to recoup a fraction of the costs is through
adoption fees.  And I emphasize a FRACTION of the costs.  They have NEVER
kept a ferret from being adopted because "they were attached to it."
That's the most ridiculous thing I've EVER heard.  If you want to help?
Take the ferrets that are waiting to come in.  Don't start knocking GCFA
because they didn't want to turn over the adoptable ferrets that they'd
already done the work on and spent money on.  Take the waiting ferrets and
spend your own shelter money on them.  Chicago is HUGE.  We have ONE ferret
shelter.  Of course there's going to be a waiting list, but it's not cuz
ferrets aren't getting adopted out!!  And for the record, GCFA never turns
away stray ferrets or ferrets that are in danger of being euthanized or
turned loose or abuse by their owners.  And when people hear that, it's
amazing how many stray ferrets start turning up at GCFA.  If you had to
deal with HALF of the crazies that call or walk through the door of GCFA,
I'm confident most of you would go nuts and close your doors.  GCFA hasn't
done that.  They continue to shine as an outstanding organization in the
face of constant insanity.

On Mary and Norm: I can only say it's an honor and a privilege to be able
to call these 2 people my friends.  I can't say I've met anyone more
dedicated and devoted to ferrets and ferret welfare than them (and there
are so many dedicated, wonderful people out there).  I've posted on this
matter before and I'm doing it again.  Mary and Norm are well above
retirement age (forgive me for publicizing it) and not of the best health.
Norm works a full-time job and then puts in probably 50-60 hours a week at
the shelter.  And Mary is usually right there beside him.  They cry over
every abuse case.  They cry over every death, no matter how long the ferret
has been there.  And I see the agony and pain in their eyes every time I
see them.  You guys just have no idea what type of people Norm and Mary
are.  Sara, I just can't believe you would do such a thing to such
wonderful people.

On GCFA volunteers: They're wonderful.  They're awesome!  And GCFA needs
more of them.  So what the heck's wrong with letting the FML know that???
Sounds like they're "getting the word out" as suggested.  My gosh, get a
grip!

On publicity: How can you possibly know what GCFA is doing from 300+ miles
away?  Here, you are just plain clueless.  They are in the papers.  They
are on TV.  They have a club and a big membership.  They have a website and
put out a wonderful newsletter.  I personally don't believe in adopting
animals out at pet supply stores or pet shows or expos.  It can lead to
impulse adopting and there's little chance to get to know potential
adopters at these public events.  Showing the animals there is one thing.
If someone is sincerely interested in an adoptable animal at an expo, show
or pet supply store, then they can wait a day or so and visit the shelter
to complete the adoption process.  If they don't, they weren't invested
enough to begin with.  That's MY opinion.

I'm sure I've forgotten some of the things I wanted to say.  I know I can't
come up with the words to express just how wonderful and admirable Norm
and Mary Stilson are.  And I hope all of you reading this show them your
support.  Running a shelter is difficult, to say the least.  And I don't
know anyone who has done so with as much class and success and love and
patience as Norm and Mary and the rest of the volunteers at GCFA.  I only
wish I could be as half as good as they are.

Kim Schilling
www.animalsforawareness.org