From:
debfossum <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Oct 2000 23:05:22 -0500
Jen, I don't know if this will help you make your decision or not.  I had
a ferret until recently (just lost him on the operating table due to a
possible genetic abnormality, but that is another story) who had not been
descented.  Rusty was the sweetest of all ferrets and we had him since he
was 5 months old.  I discovered he was not descented when he was about a
year old.  I had not realized that the odor I occasionally smelled was from
this until the third time when my brain finally clicked in and I checked
his records from the breeder.  Sure enough, he had been neutered but
not descented.  My husband found out when we were at a vet show at the
university and Curt, my husband, decided that we really needed to add a
pitbull to our menagerie.  The Pit was really curious about Rusty who
responded with a poof.  I was holding him at the time.  My husband was
about 10 feet away and a grimace came to his face as he exclaimed "Phew!
Why would anyone want a scented ferret?" Needless to say, I was laughing!
Rusty rarely poofed until he became really sick this past year.  He would
occasionally then poof in his sleep.  On one occasion, I was babysitting
Rusty's littermate who had the same genetic problems.  While I was holding
them both I got a double dose!  I still believe the smell is better than
a wet dog.  Would I descent just because?  No.  However, I do know that
impaction can be a problem as they get older.  And Rusty was regularly
'milked' by our vet when she felt that he needed it.  In all, it is not
usually a problem and any surgery can have complications.  Maybe, as your
girl becomes more comfortable, she will exercise a bit more control.

Hope this helps.

Debbie F.