From:
"Mark D. Chavez" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 2 Mar 1993 18:59:55 -0500
For those interested, here is a recent article on ferrets.
Given the recent chatter about the difficulty in administering shots
and getting blood samples, I thought this might be timely.  Please
remember that passing on this type of information can possibly save
a few ferrets!!  Disclaimer - this is for those **qualified** to
perform such tasks, okay?

Otto G, Rosenblad W.D., Fox J.G., Practical Venipuncture Techniques for
the Ferret, Laboratory Animals 1993 Jan, 27(1), 26-29.

Abstract:

As the number of ferrets (Mustela putorius furo) used in research
and kept as pets continues to rise, so does the need for simple,
humane research and diagnostic techniques. We have developed
venipuncture methods for the ferret utilizing the jugular and
cephalic veins. Using these methods it is possible to repeatedly
sample moderate volumes of blood and to perform intravenous
injections in both conscious and sedated ferrets.

Any questions/comments, e-mail or post!

Mark.

[I believe Dr. Michael Taylor (Toronto, Ontario) has published articles
on doing venipuncture in the front legs, and restraint techniques on
ferrets.  He was able to do intravenous drips 5 years ago....]