From:
"Long, Katharine" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Nov 2000 10:29:23 -0500
Dawn Johnson <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>My oldest baby (Tazy) has lymphosarcoma and is dying, my vet feels that
>ferrets that are spayed and neutered at an early age such as marshall
>farms kits and other big farm breeders kits stand a much higher chance
>of having cancer!!!!<

Just had to throw in my two cents here.  I have (HAD) two ferrets (DOB
5-4-97) from a private breeder in Florida.  He is a good, reputable breeder
and was, at one time, a member of this List.  They were late neuters.
I think I had them de-sexed at around 6 months, after Champ started
exhibiting some sexual behavior.

Blaze was euthanized on September 1st, 2000, her little body riddled with
inoperable cancer (definite lymphoma through pathologist).  Blaze was only
3 years and 4 months old.

Blaze's brother, Champ (same age, of course) was operated on for adrenal
disease in July.  His right adrenal was removed via cryosurgery.  He is
doing just fine now but does miss his sister.

Lily, my MF little girl died from lymphoma in March after several months
of chemo.  She was 6 1/2 years old!

I have a MF rescue that, to the best of my knowledge (talking to his
previous (second) owner) is between 6 and 7+ y.o.  He is totally healthy,
other than a bout with ECE.

Your vet's opinion is definitely not my experience.

Katharine