Date:
Fri, 24 Nov 2000 05:40:45 -0800
Shirley Larsen wrote:
>I am sure that this question has been asked many times, but I have been
>out of the country for 3 years, sailing with my ferrets.
>
>Friends will be driving from Washington State to Mexico later this year
>and would like to hear of the experience of others, especially such things
>as hassle free routes to take upon entering California.

They will be on I-5 I imagine and it is pretty well 'guarded'.  All
highways into California go through agricultural inspection stations.
The people manning these stations are trained in spotting any dangerous
fruits and veggies as well as any animal of mass destruction of the state,
ie: ferrets.

Your message was a little unclear..your friends are bringing ferrets with
them?  If so, you need to talk to someone in Northern California on how to
circumvent the 'bug' station on I-5.  If your friends come down via Klamath
Falls, I can tell you that there is no practical way to avoid the 'bug'
station.

If they have no ferrets with them, the fastest way to get to Mexico from
Washington *is* I-5.  The scenic route is Coast Highway 1[01].  However,
it will take forever to travel from Washington to Mexico on that route!
Just too much to see and too heavily used.

MC, The Rude One
(With Snorkle, Tuzigoot, and Bancho.  In spirit, Bubba, Billy-Bob, and
 Garret)