From:
Elisa Mohn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Nov 2000 09:09:43 -0500
Angela,

I think you know what you should do... you said it in your post!  It is
wonderful that #1 you are considering the welfare of the animal and #2
that you understand the mistake that you have made and have learned from
it (I hope).  :)

As far as whether to give it away or to sell it - I would take it case
by case.  Interview perspective future owners and decide.  If a truly
wonderful person can adopt the animal and would take care of it and it's
needs but can not afford however much you're asking for right then -
negotiate with them till you can reach a price that it livable for the both
of you (why aren't you giving away the cage too?).  I'd personally rather
give the ferret a good home than receive a certain amount of money for her.
In general though - be careful that the person you end up giving it to can
financially afford to own this pricey pet.  As you know and as you should
explain - it can be quite costly and time consuming to own a ferret.  I'd
personally try to educate the person if not even give/sell it to an already
ferret owner.  Because you do not want an uneducated, irresponsible or
uncommitted person to get her - just think they might decide that she is an
inconvenience and get rid of her too - but this time they may just release
her or give her away to just anybody instead of doing the responsible and
moral thing by searching for a good home as you are!

It would not be me if I did not say something about being a responsible
pet owner - before you get an animal next time I would encourage you to
read up about the care and responsibility it would take to care for that
animal.  How long is it going to live?  What kind of maintenance is it
going to require?  Will it be expensive to own?  Will I have to change my
lifestyle for the animal?  Will my life 5-10 years from now be able to
support this pet (all of my pets)?  Do I have enough time on my hand to be
fair to this animal?

BTW is it going to be fair for you to get another animal (be it a cat or
whatever) considering you just told FML that you are rarely ever home?
Just a thought.

Good luck with your decision!  I hope that you can be open to what I have
written. :)

Elisa