From:
Hey Hey Hey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 6 Oct 2000 06:38:31 -0400
Hey All and Dee,

First off, this is not a flame.  I do however respectfully disagree with
Dee's  position on exceeding 3 posts for Dr. Williams.

Dee wrote:
>Let me state again for all of you that are getting ready to send me flames,
>I AM NOT STATING THAT DR. WILLIAMS POSTS ARE NOT HELPFUL, but I AM STATING
>that they should NOT take the place of a physical examination.  If BIG
>could hold off on the posts beyond three, I think that is only fair.
>EMERGENCIES should be handled by taking your ferret to the vet, NOT
>waiting for Dr. Williams responses.

I agree that emergencies should always go to the vet, however, there are a
lot of vets out there just flat out dont know that much about ferrets.  In
my case, I have a ferret knowledgeable vet.  The best in my area, however,
he is often stumped.  When he is stumped, he goes to the Vet Information
Network to get answers and I go to fml.  In the past 6 months I have been
to fml several times, over Noble, who had a weird cardiao ultrasound,
insulinoma and an unresolved, chronic lung problem.  In his case Dr.
Kemmerer, Dr. Weiss, the NC Vet school and the Vet Heart Inst were all
consulted.  At that time Dr. Williams was not posting and how I wish he
was.  Noble is stable now but I have little hope of him ever being healthy.

Now, there is Rinkydink, who I posted about yesterday.  Again, a ferret
knowledgeable vet who is stumped or unsure.  I am sure hoping Dr. Williams
picks up that post also.

Dee wrote:
>perhaps sending a private email about your concerns would be of value?

That would be very nice for us, but what a horror for Dr. Williams.  I am
sure he would try very hard to handle all the emails he receives.  I am
also sure he would be swamped.  There is just not enough known about ferret
medicine.  Also what a missed oportunity for all of us to learn.  The more
we learn, the better off our critters are.

Please, please Big, allow Dr. Williams to post as much as he can.

Fer8hapy,

Karen