From:
Dee Eisenman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Oct 2000 07:39:54 PDT
To Marc:
It is very common for a ferret to become depressed just as hoomans do over
the loss of a loved one.  When one of mine passed on (I only had two at the
time), the remaining ferret would search high and low for her and then go
back into his cage.  This went on for over two weeks and he stopped eating
for a couple of days.  I panicked and ran him to the vet.  The vet told me
this happened sometimes and to simply monitor him.  He started eating again
and returned to normal.  My suggestion is to keep a close eye on him and
shower him with LOTS of love (which it sounds like you do already, anyway).
Even getting some new toys and/or treats may help.  Whatever you do, don't
rush out and get a new companion for him right away - give him time to
recover.  Introducing a new friend might create more stress for the little
guy.  I know this is difficult for you right now and it adds to your sorrow
to see him so dejected, but things will get better!  Animals grieve the way
hoomans do.  Is it possible that Charlie feels the spirit of his companion
and that is why he curls up in that spot?  Who knows, maybe he is sleeping
with his buddy?

Regarding mac n cheese: My kids LOVE it!  I don't recommend it though
because it contains milk.  A tiny bit occasionally, isn't going to kill
them but better not to.  Mine will eat plain pasta noodles also.

I posted a rather humorous (or what I thought was) post to the FML
yesterday but it has not shown up or wont.  Anyway, part of it thanked
Michael M.  for his hilarious post regarding "inexpensive ferrets".  I
really loved that post, it was EXCELLENT and brightened my day.  I urge
shelters to print it out and hang it up for potential adopters to read.
[Moderator's note: That post did appear in issue 3193.  BIG]

This year I wanted to make a ferret costume for Halloween but it was too
difficult to get an EXACT replica.  I was worried that people would not
know (people who don't know me) what it is and would think a mouse or a
bear.  Guess I will resort to my backup plan - a bunny.

Halloween is just around the corner, don't hesitate.