From:
Randy Horton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Oct 2000 11:08:39 -0700
I would like to commend those of you who have kept your cool during this
discussion of "inexpensive ferrets".  I have caught up on my fml's from the
last few days and only see a couple of antagonists like T.  Allen.  Mr.
Allen, with an attitude like yours, I really hope you don't open your mouth
in public like you express yourself on the fml.  You probably have had your
nose broken many times if you do.  From my perpsective, many good points
were brought up.  You all don't know how I got started in this business and
became what may be the largest ferret shelter on the planet.  Stephanie
Scheme, who many of you may know, and runs a small rescue called Ferrets
Etc., got me started by giving me ferrets for free.  I had one ferret named
Hilarious Harvey Horton, who was my best friend for 6 short years.  He went
everywhere with me.  Stores, restaraunts, you name it, we went together.  I
joined Steph's ferret club, and I guess she was impressed with the way we
treated Harvey.  I started getting them from her two at a time for free
until one day, I realized that between Steph and everyonew else who was
just giving me ferrets, I had over 25 fuzzies in my crew and had better
check into the laws to see if I had too many pets.  Well, I did and needed
to get a rescue permit from the state to keep them.  I did that.  Needing
to learn more about my charges, I started picking everyone I could reach
brains for more knowledge.  Medical bills were killer.  I hurt so bad when
one of them died, that I decided then, I would never kill a ferret for any
reason.(please no flames on this subject)  To this day, every one who knows
the ferretguy knows I will spend however many thousands of dollars it takes
to get a ferret well.  I have two ferrets in here now that were sent back
to me to die from the vet after over a 1000 dollars of care.(that's with
a 75% shelter disc) It been 2 weeks and they are still alive and gaining
weight.  Were those first few ferrets cheap or even free??  Not even close!
It takes a bunch of healthy ferrets to compensate for one sick one.  I
thank Steph evry day and every way I can for those gifts she gave me.  They
will cost me every day for the rest of my life, and I will gladly pay any
price for them as happiness and joy are priceless.Ask any of the thousands
of families I have placed ferrets with.  It's ok to want a better deal on a
ferret as we also try to make ferret ownership more affordable.  But even I
get supicious when the first a person says is how much do they cost.  Then
I educate them on the high cost of maintaining ferrets and if they don't
bat an eye, and they answer all the questions on the application, I go with
it.  For my long term clients who I know really well, I don't even hesitate
to "give" yes, for free, any ferret that catches their eye, as I am sure
they are going to a home that I want all my ferrets to be in.

Hugs to all,
Ferretguy