Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 15:53:10 +0100
Hi there

My Igor has bad ascites, during July we noticed that his tummy was getting
bigger and in August we went to the vets to have him checked and the vet
did an aspirate and got fluid from his tummy, the fluid was mixed with
blood as well.  Another vet felt his tummy and Igor's liver is enlarged.
The vets suspect abdominal cancer.  We haven't done anything but give him
diuretics.  But they don't seem to be working, Igor's tummy is just getting
bigger and bigger.  Igor now has 350-400g of fluid in his tummy and he only
weighed around 950g to begin with so it is a lot for him.

But I was wondering whether diuretics are helpful at all?  When my Angel
was dying, she had a lot of fluid in her abdomen due to abdominal cancer.
Back then I asked the vets whether they can't draw some fluid out with a
syringe, you know, a bit at a time and do that a few times.  The vets said
back then that the body would quickly replace the fluid.  So what if the
diuretics get rid of some fluid, will the body just replace that as well?
Does the body maybe produce more fluid if the diuretics get rid of some?
Could the diuretics be more harmful than helpful?  He is on frusemide, he
staretd on 2.5mg twice a day but is now getting it 3 times a day.  Should
I continue with the frusemide or better stop it?

Any help is appreciated.

Best wishes from
Ulrike
and Jilly, Jack, Igor, Bella, Tom, Mason, Baby, Dana, Fox, Reno, Rose,
Jasmine, Barney and Spike

Missing Angel and Hope

West Wales Ferret Welfare
http://www.ferretlove.freeserve.co.uk