From:
kat parsons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Sep 2000 16:10:15 -0700
I just spent most of this week-end at Jean's [Ferrets Unlimited Ferret
Shelter] in Cleveland, Ohio...

It was my "payment" for her being generous enough to drive me out to Bev
Fox's to meet THE Sam Young...[besides i had no way to get home...my
husband had to work all week-end...so jean was stuck with me!!!!]

I really enjoyed meeting Sam...and Bev...but the REAL reason for this post
is what happened this week-end...

It started off with me getting there and as soon as jean walked in from
work...off to the vet we went...with 2 ferrets...one with a severe ear
infection...the other had an eye infection...may even lose his eye...so
with meds and instructions for hourly treatments for the first night and
then 4 times a day after that...home we went... we get there and a girl
that comes and helps jean got there...went upstairs to get started...and
came right back down with this little girl having screaming seizures...jean
worked and worked to try to save her...she lost that fight...after what
seemed like forever to me, jean had to decide to take her to the vet...
they had to put her down... nice start to my week-end...:(

jean took it so hard...it is always so hard to lose ANY baby... then we
went on to the cleaning and such of the ferret rooms...this is when they
get their 'free time'...Jean has 2 rooms with 17 cages each...minimum of
2 ferrets to a cage..some with up to 4...she has over 65 ferrets ...not
counting her 'personal' ferrets...their 'free-time' unfortunately added up
to about 5 minutes for each cage...there are times when they get longer...
but those are special times and not nearly often enough...

all the ferrets i saw...and i was there all weekend...look beautiful...well
taken care of...some need special care...all are wonderful...

My PLEA is for help...help at the shelter is great...BUT the help needed
MOST is for some of these precious...deserving babies to be adopted...
permanently adopted...

Most of these kids need to be adopted in at least pairs...they become
attached to their cagemates...and...IMO...it is traumatic enough to be
moved, but to be moved AND lose your partner at the same time is too
hard...JMO...they have been through enough...

Even if you get a pair that can not be added to your existing group ...it
CAN be worked around...you could have seperate times out...seperate rooms
for times out...barriers to seperate them...the possibilities are only
limited by your imagination and ingenuity...it IS possible to help... both
the ferrets AND the shelter...take a bonded pair...a bonded trio...the
feeling you will get from helping them is so profound...i can't even say...

Even if you know they can not stay long...like my OldGuy...i made a
difference in his life for the few months i was allowed to have him...

I know some of you have more than enough ferrets...i understand that...i
can not take anymore right now either...but some of you WILL be getting
more ferrets soon...or might just need a little 'nudge' to make up your
mind...

If you are in the Ohio area...Penn...Mich..Ind...West Va...KY...
north-western N.Y...., PLEASE think of Jean's shelter...and what you could
do for the ferrets by taking a pair...and loving them and giving them a
REAL home with their OWN family for the rest of their lives...

Jean is w/o computer at this time..so you can not e-mail her...but you can
call her...her # is 216-749-3885...please leave a message and she will get
back to you...realize that it might take a few days...she is extremely
busy...but finding good homes for these babies is on the top of her
list...so she WILL get back to you...

if jean is out of your 'range'...please check at a shelter near you...not
all are as overcrowded as jean's...but ALL the ferrets need loving homes...

thank you...
kat

p.s...
i fear some of you will misunderstand some of my post...i did not ...nor
would i EVER say anything negative about jean or her shelter or the job
she does with the ferrets...she/it is phoenominal, in my eyes...

i am trying to say that she is way overcrowded and the best help she could
get is for some special people...[yes...that COULD be YOU!!!!]...to give
these babies a permanent home...

this IS a PLEA from my HEART!!!!

=====
KITY=^..^=KAT... ( a.k.a. ...FuzzieMom ) and the krew...
Rascal, Sassy, Wolfie, Monkey(Shine), Meeja, Narmy, PopPye, Noodles (Slyk),
Sandi-Mandi, Hope-HollyHeart, Edison!, Lucky, Princess...and Uh-Oh!!!!!
Missing pieces of my heart...Marcel, LittleWhiteGirl, OldGuy